Finished this guy tonight, unless I see anything else over the next or so that I want to adjust. I'm pretty happy with the background, but have to remember for the future that Arches hot press does not handle washes very well. That, or I got a bummed sheet of paper. Either way, I am almost done that sheet of hot press and then I'll be cutting up some cold press to paint with for a while.
I am very close to completing this one...just a little left on the branch and then the background, and perhaps the odd little detail on the bird. The background is causing a small conundrum tonight. I'm not sure if I should go with a light green (yellow-green?) or perhaps a graduated wash of green to blue. Tonight I am leaning towards a green background with, perhaps, some salt dropped into it for a little texture. Either way, the background wash will be laid in tomorrow. Then, once this guy is done I will begin bird number two.
This is the first painting in my new challenge from Wetcanvas of 100 Birds painting in one year. My hope (and plan) is that by this time next year I will have painted 100 birds. The medium will vary (oil or watercolour) and so will the sizes, but all the pictures will be available directly through me or through my Etsy Store.
The photo reference of my first bird in this this challenge is from Naturespiconline taken by Alan and Elaine Wilson. My palette will be simple for this guy (indigo, burnt seinna, and raw sienna, all Daniel Smith watercolours) with perhaps a hint of another colour or so as I progress.
I've been practicing painting flowers again... and I am pretty happy with today's efforts. I tried not to worry too much about the details and concentrate more on the colours and shapes. As a result, I think this is my best flower painting yet.
I found the power supply and USB cables for my scanner today (yah!) so I am able to post a much better update of this painting tonight. It is very very close to being done (I think I am going to strengthen a couple of shadows) so I haven't quite added my signature on it yet. Tomorrow I'll be adding the last little finishing touches to it and then I am moving onto my next project...
No new painting tonight (camera battery is dead and I still haven't found all the cables for the scanner), so I thought I would post a picture of my two new kittens. They have been with me for about two weeks now and I think I am starting to settle back into my painting routine. Though, just as I am pulling out the paints, there seems to be a tail in my face. sigh. Oh well. The joys of having kittens in the house.
The tea painting is almost complete and I hope to finish it by the end of the weekend..... and I have been working on a new floral painting during my lunch hours that I should have done pretty soon to. So, stay tuned for painting updates!
The paints came out last night and I managed to get a little more done on this painting (first real painting in almost a week!). I'm experimenting with a turquoise background hoping it will emphasize the warm of the tea a little more (and help the cup stand out a bit better). Getting closer to being done with this one... but a little more left to go.
I am (mostly) moved into my new studio... its been a long week of packing/unpacking, cleaning, finding out my cell barely works (out of reception) and taking time to sit outdoors and enjoying the peace and quiet of the area (which is what attracted me to the area in the first place). Below is the view from my place, a wonderful change from the hustle and bustle of city life. I'm close to the city and shopping, but far enough off the beaten path to be away from it all.
I've located most of my paints/canvas'/and brushes and new art should start appearing very soon. I have my easel set up next the window so I can enjoy the view and be inspired by the wildlife. I have chatted with some of my new neighbors and have been told that there are many eagles and sea otters that come up the river to feed on the salmon. Hopefully I can snap some photos of these visitors and I'll post pictures when I do.