There was a little bit of sunshine poking out at the end of the day... ending what seems like weeks of nothing but grey, wet, and rather miserable weather. I started this guy last week at lunch and managed to finish him today at lunch... just as the sun was starting to poke out. So... with this one done, I've started a new lunch time painting showing nothing but sunshine!
I brought out the oil brushes and paints today and finished this Vancouver landscape painting tonight and managed to photograph it before the sun sent for the evening. It really felt great to finally finish an oil painting... I think this is my first finished in one many many months. I've actually prepped and gessoed my next canvas and picked out my next oil painting. This next one is going to be my largest oil painting to day! I'll post some work in progress shots when I get some paint on it.
It has been a long while since I've last worked on this painting, but it is one of my goals over the next while to finish some of my many 'works in progress'. I remember getting very frustrated with all the green in this painting so I am hoping that now that some time has passed since I've last worked on it that I'll be able to get past that frustration and finish it.
Finished another painting from the 'to finish' pile... I started this one months ago for a Different Strokes for Different Folks Challenge but I never managed to finished it in time to post for the challenge. Though... I am done now! There a few things I would different if I was to paint this type of painting again... including paying slightly better attention to the shadows and their value. I kinda got lost in the icing...
Its been a little while since I've posted an update on Spider. Progress has been slow and steady... layer by layer. All the masking fluid has been removed and I have also started to soften the edges between the hard edges and the fur of the kitty. I'm happy with the progress so far and I will keep on plugging away at it.
This one was a bit of a challenge... I tried to get 'snowflakes' using salt on a wet background... but, the aquabord and the salt did not want to cooperate... thus, the 'fuzzier' snowflakes in the background. Overall... I think it is a successful painting and I'm happy with final results.
I'm slowly working through my 'to finish' pile and I'll have an update on another painting tomorrow night. I've also started a very special commission that I'll post the beginnings of in a couple nights.
I think I am finished this painting, unless of course I find any last little details to take care of. If I can't find any changes to make over the next week or so... it will be sealed and varnished ready for framing.
I've finally finished the paintings that I will be using for this year Christmas Cards... gosh... I hope I haven't left if for too late for my international recipients. Though... I suppose a late holiday card is better than no holiday card.
This is the first painting for my Christmas cards this year... a cute little chickadee caught out during a snow storm. The snow in this painting proved to be quite the challenge and I am not fully confident that I accomplished the look of the snow. Looking at the painting now... I am thinking that perhaps a darker background would help the snow to look more like snow.
I got a little further on this tonight... slowly working on the layers to get the colours just perfect. I'm slowly getting to the end of this one and I am amazed at how quickly it is going. When this one is done (and I have caught up on some of my other 'works in progress') I think I'll do another apple water painting on a larger sheet of aquabord that I have... perhaps the 11" x 14" one.
This one has been keeping me busy lately... many many layers of translucent watercolor are slowly being laid down on the aquabord. This painting is a true test of my perseverance and patience. There will be many more sessions left before this one if finished.
I've finally managed to get a decent photograph of this work in progress. The photograph is still slightly over saturated... and colours are not perfect... but it is pretty darn close. Thank goodness for cloudy days and sleeping cats (important if you don't want their nose in the photograph). The sunset itself if very close to being done... then, it is just a matter of adding the downtown Vancouver buildings and signing. Yah! Then, on to my next oil painting.
I had so much fun painting this guy... its was one of those paintings where everything just worked: the colours, the drawing, and the surface of the painting (aquabord) allowed the highlights to lift so easily. With every painting that I am doing on aquabord, I have to admit that I am liking it more and more. I think, once my stash is used up that I am going to purchase the aquabord that is mounted on 2" hardboard so that it does not need to be framed.
Just last week I treated myself to a shiney new moleskin sketchbook (one with watercolour paper). This is one of the first sketches in the sketchbook and I have to say that I absolutely love the paper! I'm in sketchbook heaven! I've also been experimenting with splattering my watercolour paints.... learning a new lesson along the way: always cover that what you don't want splattered, especially other paintings. Oopps... Oh well... I'll just have to figure out how to include the new spots in the painting.
I managed to make a little more progress on the sunset painting with the goal to finish it hopefully in one or two more painting sessions. I'm still having some difficulties photographing the reds without loosing all the subtle colour changes... this was the best of many attempts. I have a whole heck of a lot of canvas's lined up ready for paint and my goal is to have a much more productive month in November.