My goal of finishing some of my 'on the easel' paintings is working as today I have finished another painting that has been sitting on my easel far too long. The green was a big challenge on this one... and through the process I have learned a few new green mixes that I will have to try on the next one. I also think I need to practice painting leaves....
Had a productive day in the studio today: did some much needed cleaning and organizing and I managed to start and finish this little guy. The oil painting from yesterday is still a little on the wet side, so I think tomorrow will be another watercolour day.
I was hoping to finish this little guy today... but, after covering it mostly with oil paint... I found I just couldn't hold the painting in any reasonable way to allow me to add any more paint... So, I'm going to wait for a day or so for the paint to slightly dry before continuing. Tomorrow I think will be a watercolour day.
Starting working tonight on another chickadee painting (sorry for the bad photo... lighting conditions was not the greatest) while the various paint mixes for the little fellow were still fresh in my mind. I don't think I have ever tried painting pansys in oil before and so far so good... only a few more to paint, finish the chickadee and add a sky and this little fellow will be done.
It has been awhile since I last painted a chickadee using oil paints and it took me a little longer than anticipated to figure out my colour mixes... that.... and I am painfully slow at painting flowers.
I'm in the mood to paint chickadees right now (I haven't painted on in oil for a really long time) so last night, this guy perched himself on my easel. I decided to try him on gessoboard and I have to admit that I am really enjoying the texture and feel of painting on gessoboard... I think I just might have to order some more soon.
Please don't mind the mess.... I've decided to do a little spring cleaning/makeover on the blog today. Soo.... out with the old and in with the new! And, when I'm don't I suppose I should pay attention to the puppy.
It has been a really (really) long time since I've put brushes to this painting... though I think I am now ready to finish this painting and get it on the wall! I spent some time toning down the colours and giving it a more "Macintosh Apple" feeling. I've also been working on the 'water' feature on the lower right hand side.... I've decided it is too distracting it is going away. Overall... its starting to look pretty darn snazzy.
I haven't forgotten about my 100 Birds in 100 Days Challenge... but, I am going to have to extend my deadline (which has come and gone) and perhaps just rename it the 100 Bird Challenge. Anywho... here is Bird #35, my first bird in a little while. I have a couple more on the go that will be posted in the near future.
Some of the subtle colours were lost in the photographing of this painting (I'll try again later with a different camera).... but, I am happy to say that it is finished. This is based off a photograph taken on of the many ferry rides from Vancouver to Victoria along a section called active pass. Many of the trips over were during the 'off' season, spring and fall when the marine mists hung heavily to the coast and the water was almost perfectly still. It is an incredible place that I hope to return to someday.
Okay Okay... So, the other night I mentioned I was going to work on finishing some paintings and not starting new ones. But, I couldn't help it... the rainy weather outside (finally) called out to me to paint a British Columbia landscape... namely one from the 'rainy' season. I didn't quite finish this little guy (I will, I promise, finish it this weekend....), but I have captured the misty morning ocean feel so far. There is nothing more peaceful than riding a ferry through some of the islands in the Active Pass region of the British Columbia coast smelling the misty salty air.