August 04, 2008

Fall Colours

Even though we are still in the full swing of summer, I felt compelled to try paint something more 'fallish'. We had a few cooler days here on the west coast this last week (sure felt like fall for a couple days with all the rain and wind) and it sure felt like fall was in the air. Though... that feeling was quickly gone as the full summer heat has once again returned.


hummingbird watercolour painting
"Fall Colours"
3.5" x 2.5" watercolour
© 2008


I've been playing around with some new colour schemes and testing to see what I can do with my Paynes Grey (a beautiful cool blueish grey that I have completely forgotten about). The black of the chickadee is actually a combination of indigo blue and burnt umber which I have been finding makes an excellent dark mix. The leaves are a combination of new gamboge, quin gold, and quin yellow (all Daniel Smith paints).

I've been busy this week working on my two oil paintings (they are sure taking a while.... someday soon I'll be done) and smaller watercolour paintings while the oil ones are drying. Hopefully I'll have some new oil paintings to post this week.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...