November 16, 2008

Poppy

This one has been on my easel off and on for a couple of weeks now. Flowers have been my focus lately... trying different techniques out to capture the subtle colours of the petals. White flowers have been especially challenging... but, I bought myself a small tube of cobalt blue and that seems to be the trick for me. They white poppies seem a little washed out in this scan, but there is much more subtle colour in them in real life.


chickadee watercolour painting
"Poppy"
4" x 6" watercolour
© 2008


post signature

4 comments:

Torrie Smiley said...

I am such a fan! I love the new painting....but then, the cardinal is beautiful and I can't wait to see the apple finished! Great blog!

Torrie

Madelaine said...

Thanks Torrie! The apple will still be some time... but, eventually it will be done.

Vicki Greene said...

Your background is perfect. The flowers are wonderful and I always love your little chickadees. I have one little area that is drawing my eye and I hope that I don't offend you by mentioning it. The white area between the birds legs where his feathers meet the background gives it a cut out look. I think if you softened that one little area that it would only improve an already awsome painting.

Madelaine said...

Hi Vicki,
I see what you mean about the white area between the legs. Thanks for mentioning it... I'm going to go blend it now.

I always love comments and critiques... never worry about offending me. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...