I haven't forgotten about this painting... just been working on watercolours until I figured out my next step with it. Tonight, I've added more yellow, greens, and reds... its almost a fluorescent colour in real life, but the next few glazes will tone done the saturation of colour into a more realistic colour. The roundness is starting to take place, and as I add the lighter areas... the roundness will become more and more apparent.
I went with a slightly larger than ACEO size on this one... and that 1/2" of extra space really gave the painting a different feel. I think I might try some square miniature paintings in the future. This chickadee is a poofy little fellow (hence the name) and I wanted to capture the feel of a damp cool morning. The weather has been dreary and wet here lately and I've been noticing the birds are more poofy lately and (hopefully) keeping good and warm.
The snow hasn't started falling here yet... but, for the first time this season, I saw wet snow flurries in the extended weather forecast. I'm hoping for the snow not to come yet as I am still enjoying the 'green' outside. I really love painting song birds, but I seem to always paint bluebirds, robins, and chickadees. A pattern I should perhaps deviate from.... mmm... So, what other songbirds should I paint? Any suggestions?
This is one of those paintings where everything just seemed to work.... especially the background. Its hard to see in the scan, but there are very subtle colours of brown, green, blue, and even purple. I also really love the way his orange belly turned out... it was a new combination of colours for me (a recipe I have written down for future reference).
This one has been on my easel off and on for a couple of weeks now. Flowers have been my focus lately... trying different techniques out to capture the subtle colours of the petals. White flowers have been especially challenging... but, I bought myself a small tube of cobalt blue and that seems to be the trick for me. They white poppies seem a little washed out in this scan, but there is much more subtle colour in them in real life.
This one is fresh off the easel... a special picture for my Grannie. I struggled with the reds for a bit, then discovered what combinations of red, blue, green, and yellow create the perfect shadows and highlights. Now, I'll let it sit for a couple days and see if I can spot any places that need touch ups. Then, it will be matted, framed, and sent off it its new home.
I've added my first colour layer to the apple and as a result, I'm back to the ugly stage. The best way to describe this stage, in my opinion, is a badly coloured black and white photo. There will be many more colour layers, each one slowly adjusting the colours of the apple. Right now... it is a tad bit to 'fluorescent' in colour. But, as the colours get added, they will tone down and be more natural. Stay tuned for more to come!
I had a wonderfully busy weekend visiting and being a tourist with family that was in town this weekend. As a result, no new painting tonight... but instead, I present a sketch from my sketchbook. I've been collecting leaves and practicing drawing them. The make a great still life once they dry. I'm hoping to have a painting ready for posting tomorrow but if not I'll post another one of my sketches.
Today was an earthy day... fall is starting to pass by and there is less and less colour in the trees as the leaves are falling more quickly now. I had lots of fun playing with all my earthy browns and greens... especially the granulating ones. I'm working on a very special painting right now... but I won't be posting it until I'm done (don't want to spoil the surprise).
I am slowly working through my pile of 'starts but never finished' paintings in between other paintings. This guy was started a couple months ago... but I wasn't sure how to handle the small sparkly feathers on him. I've been practicing my technique and I think he turned out pretty good.
So I think I am finished the first (under layer) for this painting. I could do more... but, I think I am satisfied with this. I have lots of water and waterdrops.... Lots of fun. Unless I see any major changes over the next week I anticipate the first layer of colour going on next week (once this layer has had enough time to properly dry).
It was a crazy busy week this past week which meant, unfortunately, I didn't get much painting done. Just too darn tired in the evenings. I did, though, manage to slowly work on this one and had the energy to paint a little tonight to finish it. I'm still experimenting with my greens... though I think I will have to make some colour charts to really figure out some of my mixes.