A little late this year, but late than never. I finished this years holiday painting for my cards. Now just to make the card, print them, address them, and write a little note in them... and I'll be done my Christmas cards for the year!
7" x 5", watercolour on 180grs. paper (Garzapapel)
There are times when I have many paintings on the go.... This is one of those times. I've been going through my 'to finish' pile when I came across this one... it is shiney and made of glass! I'm not sure if it is completely done as I am not entirely satisfied with the shadows in the background. I'll mull over it for the next day or so before I am completely ready to call it done.
Got the Blues 4" x 4", watercolour on Ampersand Aquabord
I found this painting particularly difficult to get an accurate scan of for some reason, so I am posting a picture of it from my camera.... this is a pretty good likeness to the actual colours of the bird and of the paper. The Kahdi paper has some absolutely wonderful texture to it... but that also makes is somewhat tricky to paint on. Wet-on-wet washes, if done too many times, mucks up the texture so I had to be extra careful not too do too many. Which is OK since the texture makes for some wonder dry brush textures.
A quick little update tonight... almost finished the bird and working on the wood stick he is sitting on. I'm having some difficulties with my scanner getting a good picture of the painting so the colours may be off a little below.
Trying some new paper again today, this one isn't as bright white as the last paper I tried, but... it is a nice paper to work with. It has a bit more of a pronounced texture though I think that adds to the character. I tried it many years ago when I was first playing seriously with watercolours but was never able to find it available in Canada after that. I was hoping to try some Twinrocker paper, but haven't been able to find a distributor who ships to Canada.
I've finally finished this one... well, unless I see any little detail that I need to tweak. I'm happy with the subtle detail, but it is that subtle detail that made it very difficult to photograph and scan. I'll try again tomorrow with better light.
I received a few days ago a sample pack of watercolour paper from Garzapapel (www.garzapapel.com) and I just had to give it a try. The paper is advertised as being 100% recycled cotton and archival... to the touch, it is so soft and has the most wonderful texture to it. It didn't take me long to figure out what I wanted to paint on it...
Almost done my third and final painting in this set, though it is currently untitled at the moment. I have never painted a North American robin in watercolour before and I am very pleasantly pleased with the way she turned out. A few details left on the nest, feet, and need to add a couple of leaves on the tree and she is completed.
I finished this painting a few weeks back and neglected to post the finished version. I love how it turned out with all the bright colours, looks very spring like! I've started, and finished, the next painting in this set and I'll post that one tomorrow.
I am making good progress on this commission (well, part one of three paintings) and I anticipate being done in the next day or so. I love how its turning out, especially all the bright colours. It is a bit more of a detailed background than I normally do, but... I think that really adds to the charm of the painting.
I'm working on a series of three commissioned spring-ish bird paintings at the moment... this one is the first of the three. My client has asked for something with lots of colour, and after this long never-ending winter, lots of colour is just what was needed!!!
Well, I can dream about them anyways. Still have snow on the yard but the days are growing longer and the temperatures are slowly warming up. To celebrate, I'm getting back to work on a floral painting I started many moons ago. It was too grey, now it is too blue. More tweaking to go.
I've been slowly working on blocking in the colours that will be Squggy, just the ears left now. Once this layer is done I will be starting to fine tune the colours and then start to add in all the details.
I started Squiggy's portrait today. Bye will be completed to match my other two... 10" x 10" on a hardwood panel that has been prepared with clear gesso. The eyes are always first, then I will start working on the rest of him.
I'm just about done Leonard... Going to let the paint tacky up a bit then add the final details like whiskers and such. I have to admit I am looking forward to finishing him and moving on to my last two : Balanka and Squiggy.
My husband and I were having a quiet afternoon when he pointed out.... You got Leonard's colours wrong. By golly, when I stopped to have a look, he was correct. I was painting him grey when he was suppose to be more beige. Not sure quite how that happened, but I spent most of the day colour correcting Leonard. Still not quite right, but getting close.
I got some more done on Leonard the last couple evenings.... Almost done his one cheek, the all I have left is his next and some minor details such as whiskers and such. The, on two my last two portraits - Balanka and Squigy.
It's hard to believe that a new year is upon us.... But the fireworks outside my place at midnight last night confirmed that indeed, a new year has started. My goal is simple its year... To paint more. I may not have a new painting every night, but I hope to post mores often.
On that thought, I present my current update to a painting I started back in November.