I've been working on this one for a few days now... finally I think it is done (unless I see something). I tried not to fuss with the details on this one as much as I normally do, but I just couldn't help but pick up that tiny brush and add some details.
It's been a while since I played with my acrylic paints, but the quick drying time (even with glazing medium) absolutely drove me batty. So, to solve the problem, I picked up a stay-wet palette not too long ago. And... I love it! I've only been using it for two nights now (in between oil painting) but I can't believe how much fun acrylics are again. I can put the paint down and it is still usable even the next day. Its absolutely brilliant!
I started this painting last summer when it eventually went into my 'complete sometime in the future' pile. I've rescued it from that pile and I hope to finish it this week. I'm still working on little oil paintings at the same time (multi-tasking at its best I tell you) and I'll post those as I complete them.
The trees are starting to show some of the first colours of fall out here which inspired me to paint this miniature painting. I kept my palette pretty simple: indigo, hansa yellow light, cadmium yellow medium, scarlet red, and titanium-zinc white.
I've been working on this one slowly all week... not that it was a particularly difficult... but I have been super busy with work and just haven't had the time this week to do much painting. I have been goals to finish at least one larger painting, do some framing, and hopefully a couple small paintings.
I got up bright and early this morning to get this one finished. Now that it is completely and I am relatively happy with the way the fur turned out, I think I am going to go through my reference images and see find another kitten I'll paint.
I haven't been getting quite as much painting done these last few days, but I did manage to do a little work on this cute kitten I saw in the image library at Wetcanvas. I've tried painting cats in watercolour... but I've never been totally happy with the results. With the oil paints, I am much happier with the way this painting is turning out.
My palette is fairly simple: titanium-zinc white, indigo, raw sienna, hansa yellow light and sap green (the last two colours were for the background and the kitten's eyes). The eyes were quite the challenge and I think I didn't do all that bad.
I gave the marbles another try tonight... concentrating on using only three colours: paynes grey, indigo, and titanium-zinc white. I do have to say that I am quiet happy with the results tonight. By only using the three colours I was really able to concentrate on getting the reflections and light spots looking more accurate than worrying about all the colours.
Somedays, I swear, my camera hates me. No matter how many times I photographed this painting.... I just couldn't get it to photograph well. I suppose this is just going to have to be one of those that I scan later in the week.
This marble was a heck of a lot more difficult to paint in oil than it is in watercolour. Not sure why... perhaps I am just fiddling with it too much. I'm going to try another one.... but this time I am going to pick a marble that has less colours in it and concentrate more on the reflections and refractions.
I still got a number of colour layers that I want to do, and I'm not happy with the background colour so I am tinting it a blue as well. I think the blue will help the water stream and the apple 'pop' more from the painting.
Another quick little chickadee for me tonight. I've painted this guy once in watercolour and I wanted to try him again in oil paints... but this time with a different mood. I've been playing around with different shades of grey and light colours for backgrounds and I really love the way it looks in real life.
I do believe that this is my best painted robin yet! I'm soo happy with this one... very tempted to keep it for myself. I got some colour tips from the new books I got: the brown of the bird is a combination of sap green, raw umber, and titanium-zinc white. The orange breast is a combination of raw sienna, cadmium yellow medium, and winsor red.
I was thinking of taking a bit of a break from painting chickadees, but I just couldn't resist painting this one. I loved the pose of this guy and I wanted to try him on a slightly larger scale than the usual chickadee painting.