March 31, 2007

Sunset Clouds

Another 'loose' landscape painting... this time based on a gorgeous sunset I saw a couple weeks ago. This is a view facing northeast off my deck towards Port Coquitlam, British Columbia.



Fraser River Sunset
"Sunset Clouds"
2.5" x 3.5" oil on canvas paper
© 2007


I'm doing some of these looser landscapes as practise for a larger oil painting I want to do (after I'm done the lighthouse painting mind you). I've never really painted clouds or sunsets before so this is all experimentation with colours and brush strokes.

My palette consisted of phthalo blue, cadmium yellow light, zinc-titanium white, cadmium orange, chromatic black, and a touch of alizarin red.

I should add... for some reason I just couldn't capture all the subutle colours in this painting. The sky should be much lighter than it appears... and the colours more blended.

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...