July 30, 2008

A Little Painting Update

I don't have anything new and completed to post today, but I thought I would show what has been keeping me busy lately. Two paintings have been rotating across my easel. The first one is a continuation on the apple painting of the apple painting I started quite some time ago. There are many many layers so far on this one and many more to go. The reflections are a little maddening to get correctly... but I wanted a challenge when I started.


apple oil painting
Candied, a Work in Progress
6" x 6" oil on stretched canvas
© 2008


The second painting is a larger painting of a boat I photographed at Gibsons Landing. You may recognize this boat and that is because I have painted it once already, though a different view. I'm trying a different approach to this version. The first boat was painted on a burnt sienna base and this one is painted on black gesso. The feel of the scene is quite different and I have very amazed at how much a difference the base colour makes.


boat oil painting
a Work in Progress
11" x 14" oil on stretched canvas
© 2008

The only fully (well, for now...) completed part of the painting is the water. I'm really quite happy with the way the water turned out in this one. Its a combination of pthalo blue, cerulean blue, titanium-zinc white, and touches of indigo in the darkest areas. There is lots left on the boat yet and I'll post updates and I slowly build on this painting.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...