August 28, 2008

untitled, Work in Progress

This guy has been keeping me busy these last couple days. I had the urge to paint a cat that I just couldn't shake. This guys is being painted on a black gesso canvas and what you see (except in the right upper corner) is the under painting that I completed yesterday. Today, I have been working on the hair and increasing the intensity of the colour that I lost on the black gesso.


untitled
6" x 6" oil on stretched canvas
© 2008


This is a case where I didn't plan ahead properly. Most of my earthy red/orange colours are transparent and, unfortunately, the colours get lost on the black ground. This guys should have been painted on a lighter (white or sepia) ground. I'll take it as a lesson learned and do another one and compare the final results.

With the under painting done, the colours are starting to show up much better, but I'll have to see tomorrow in daylight if this guy will need a third layer.

1 comment:

Vicki Greene said...

The kitty has beautiful eyes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...