December 30, 2008

The Blues

I haven't completely stopped painting this holiday... but I came pretty darn close. Lately I have been working on a couple smaller watercolours (I move between the two as I get frustrated). But, today I had a request for a musical painting... a perfect excuse to take a break from the watercolours. I found the perfect reference photo from morguefile.com and I just knew that I had to give it a try. I kept my palette nice and simple: titanium-zinc white, indigo blue, and burnt sienna. I also kept my brushes simple: I only allowed myself two 'larger' brushes and no fiddly details. I was to keep this one simple.


Guitar, the Blues
"The Blues"
reference by clarita100 at morguefile.com
14" x 11" oil on canvas
© 2008

There is still a few details left to go. The strings still need to be added and I want to strengthen the whites in few places once the paint is a bite more tacky. Overall, this one was a tonne of fun and nice and relaxing. I'll post a final photo once the details have been added and in better light.

post signature

1 comment:

Nancy Merkle Fine Art said...

Love it! A guitar player is going to want to own this one. The limited palette works really well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...